Feeling confused after fainting. What is the problem and the cure?

General Surgeon
hi there,

I fainted last night and when I came back I didnt remember who I was and didnt recognize my own livingroom. It took a couple of minutes and then everything came back to me. I know its normal to be confused after fainting but is it still normal to the point where you loose your memory briefly? I am in good in health I think and a 32 years old woman. Can you also tell me what in your opinion cause it. I was feeling fine before it happend. I had been drinking plenty of water and eat food. I was sitting down when this happened.

Thank you,
Posted Thu, 15 Nov 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 3 hours later

Thank you for the query.

This is quite common that after lost of consciousness you seem to be stunned. So it could take some time to awake your brain. This is similar to when you are suddenly awaken and it is sometimes hard to find what time is it and why are you awaken etc.
So this lack of memory is nothing to worry about as long as you are sure you didnt hit to your head during fainting.
The thing you should take care of is the reason of this faint. It can be a heart problem (heart arrhythmia), vessels problem (narrow aorta or cervical arteries), stress (vasovagal),low blood pressure, hypoglycemia, ions shortage, stroke.
You should have fool blood work with sugar level and ions level, Holters ECG, chest X-ray. It is advisable to visit cardiologist and neurologist.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.