Feeling cold, no fever, nausea, headache and drowsiness. Having nausea and diarrhea. Safe remedy?

Oncologist, Radiation
Sudden onset of chills no fever nausea headache and drowiness. Now having loose clay coloredstools. Came home early from work slept 6 hours. Today still having nausea and diarrhea
Posted Wed, 27 Feb 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Dipanjan Majumder 28 minutes later

Thanks for asking your queries. You have complained of sudden onset chills. Now can you please give me some information?

- Can you inform me about your pulse rate and blood pressure.
- Can you mention your body temperature.
- Do you use any medications on a long term basis?
- Have you taken any food from outside in last 24 hours?
- You have mentioned about diarrhea. How many times you have passed unformed stool?
- You should have done a stool test for routine & microscopic examination.

There may an infective etiology. Please keep me posted. I will be available to answer. Wish you good health.
Follow-up: Feeling cold, no fever, nausea, headache and drowsiness. Having nausea and diarrhea. Safe remedy? 5 hours later
My HR is 110, BP 100/68, T 100.3F.
On no meds, 6 loose stools. 16 oz fluids in past 12-24h
Answered by Dr. Dipanjan Majumder 1 hour later
Hi and thanks for updating,

Presence of fever and increased heart rate suggest that your symptoms are caused by some intestinal infection. Such infections are usually self resolving; however a few needs medical attention.

At this stage, the first and most important management is correction of dehydration. You should take plenty of oral rehydration solution ( glucose electrolyte solution). Rehydrating solutions are available over the counter in powdered form and also as ready made drinks. You can contact your nearest pharmacy.

Monitor the progress of condition. I would be concerned if the stool becomes more liquid in consistency, has mucus / blood in it. A stool routine and microscopic study will be needed to isolate the causative organism. Therefore please do not wait to see your doctor if symptoms do not improve/worsen. Empirical antibiotics preferably quinolones and metronidazole might be needed.

Avoid antimotility ( drugs that decrease stool production) drugs, though available over the counter. Paracetamol can be taken every 4-6 hours to control fever. Please maintain your hydration and check your pulse, blood pressure at regular interval.

Hope this helps. Keep me posted. I will be available to answer you.