Feeling cold, heaviness in eye, numbness, pain and tingling sensation in head. Required treatment?

Spine Surgeon
Hello Doctor,

I'm 32 year old healthy male. I have the following symptoms for past 2 months now.
They are not unbearable, but every other day the severity either increases or decreases a little, but does not go away completely. I had the same symptom exactly 1 year ago, back then a neurologist suggested it could be because of the common cold I had back then. Back then it went away in a month and reappeared now (I don’t have any common-cold now).
Following are my symptoms.
-     Top Right side head feels numb and is sensitive (pains) if I put pressure.
-     There is always a slight pain on “Back of right side head“, but it is not sensitive to physical pressure.
-     Sometimes it felt like floor would move/tilt (this was there few days last year) and not now.
-     Right Eye lids and eye in general feels heavy. I continuously wear corrective spectacles (-1, -1.5) and the number has not changed for last 4years.
-     Right inner Ear feels heavy and pains sometimes.
-     Tingling / moving sensation sometimes (like a worm move) sometimes on top right head.
-     Sometimes right top head feels cold from inside.
-     Rarely (sometimes once in a day) a sharp pain travels (like a lightning) from top of head to right backside of neck.
-     No vomiting sensation or speech issues.
-     Right now I’m on no medication.
Thank you for your help in diagnosing what I should do next.
Posted Sun, 3 Feb 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. S K Mishra 37 minutes later

I read your problem with diligence. The symptoms you describe are not consistent with a single organic pathology. Without an opportunity to examine and evaluate you, it is difficult to suggest a diagnosis which could be responsible for all your symptoms. You will need a step wise evaluation done by a competent neurologist before we reach a conclusion.

The most important thing I noted is sharp lightening like pain. Your diagnosis ranges from nonspecific to atypical neuralgia. Since you are young for neuralgia, you should consider by doing MRI brain especially focussing on posterior fossa of brain to see any abnormal vascular loop or very benign lesion like epidermoid. Even if MRI shows nothing it can be atypical neuralgia and can be managed medically. However MRI will rule out surgical/curable causes.

Therefore please plan a review back with your neurologist and consider evaluating beginning with MRI scan and few blood tests.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you need further clarifications.

Follow-up: Feeling cold, heaviness in eye, numbness, pain and tingling sensation in head. Required treatment? 21 hours later
Thank You, Dr. XXXXXXX

I plan on getting a complete-health checkup before I visit my neurologist for this. Should I include any test (blood related or otherwise) in particular so that it might help the visit ? I'll go for brain-MRI after that.

Answered by Dr. S K Mishra 9 hours later

Thanks for the follow up.

Sometime blood test required is serum creatinine prior to MRI, that is if contrast MRI is planned based on findings of plain MRI or clinical suspicion.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.