Feeling cold and yellow mucus from nose and chest. What should I do to feel better?

I been sick for a week now. It started with cold symtoms with yellow mucus from my nose and chest. It now is clear but I have lost my voice and have this constant cough that sounds wheezing. It feels like there is congestion at the top center of chest right below neck. What should I do to get better
Posted Wed, 31 Oct 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 19 minutes later
From your history it seems that you are having Acute bronchitis. Wheezing and impacted phelgem need systemic antibiotics to deal with the infection you are having in your airways. You will have to consult your physician to get the best antibiotic and brochodilators prescribed for you. Steroids- both oral and inhalers might be needed for symptomatic relief.
However the best treatment for impacted mucus is steam inhalation. Inhaling steam from a bowl of hot (but not boiling water) may help to soften, and loosen, the buildup of mucus in your nose. You may also find that adding some menthol crystals, or eucalyptus oil, to the water helps a lot. Other than that, avoid eating indigestible, spicy, foods and meats and eat simple wholesome foods. Out-of-door exercise, sunbaths also help a lot.
If you have fever or the cough is worsening then it is advisable to get a X-ray chest done to rule out pneumonia as well.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.