Feeling cold. Having red and painful bump on roof of mouth and near throat. Concerned

Jul 2012

I have a cold right now. In addition, I have these small, clear, tingly bumps on the roof of my mouth, only at the back of my mouth, near my throat. My throat is also a bit red and painful. I've never had these bumps before with a cold, so just wondering if I need to be concerned.
Posted Wed, 7 Nov 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 1 hour later
Hi there.
These appear to be inflamed papillae & can be a common occurence with a common cold & viral infections. They may become secondarily infected with bacteria & may show up as yellowish pus filled appearing lesions. This is when i advocate or envisage an oral antibiotic in addition. Perhaps azithromycin 500mg once/daily for 3 days may be an antibiotic of choice & provide quick relief. However, for this prescription, your Gp on the ground will/may have to be contacted unless you have a kind pharmacist at ground0 ;-)
In short, dont worry, do warm saline gargles three times daily & hydrate yourself well with fluids. Antibiotics are a last recourse. Wish you good health & a quick recovery. Cheers & good luck!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD