Feeling cold. Getting metallic taste in mouth. Feeling light headed and dizzy. Any suggestion?

I started with symptoms of a cold. I have been coughing and felt congested, but as the days passed it didn't feel like a cold anymore. I noticed that everytime I coughed, it leaves like a metallic taste in my mouth. I never experienced that before. I've felt a little light headed/dizzy when I was out with my family yesterday. My throat does not hurt but when I get that itch (at least that's what I think it is) I start coughing/hacking terribly, so much that my face gets red and my chest hurts. I do feel very congested. I recently visisted a walk-in clinic and and they precribed the "z-pack XXXXXXX I was on this for 5 days and the PA (physicians assistant) told me to also take allergy meds. I finished the medication and took the allergy medication and NOTHING has changed. I do not have a history of health problems or my parents either. I am 47 y/o male, never smoked and will drink a beer or two very rarely. (I do not have any issues with my teeth that I'm aware if but I must confess that I have never been to the dentist.) ...
Posted Fri, 26 Oct 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 3 hours later

I reviewed your query and the medical history attached. Let me provide some useful information here.

Chronic cough in a non smoker with history of gastritis with metallic taste should always be investigated for the following:
1) Allergic conditions / Asthma
2) Gastro Oesophageal Reflux Disease. (I go with this first)
3) Occupational / Work place problems

You should take a trial course of Omeprazole / Pantaprazole ( proton pump inhibitors) for a period of 4 weeks and follow up with your treating doctor. Your physician should investigate for allergy, sinusitis and asthma as well. They can do a simple screen with blood, skin and lung function tests to rule them out.

You should also understand that you are prone for frequent upper resp infection as they surgically removed useful lymphoid tissue (adenoids and tonsils) 40 years back.

Meanwhile check for the following in your life style:
1) Do not wear tight clothes
2) No alcohol two hours before bed ( Alcohol causes reflux)
3) No coffee, mint, fried food
4) Aerobic exercise ( very imp if you are over the ideal weight range)
5) It is time for dental check up once a year. Time to brush twice and frequent flossing

Let me know if I can address anything further.