Feeling clogged ear. No pain and can hear. Suggested tear in ear. What should I do?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
my ear is feeling clogged even after 7-8 days of getting slapped...there is no pain and am able to hear but not quietly like my other ear ..i visited a doctor already ..he says i have a tear in my ear drum and need an operation to fix it though it is not that critical ,but i need a second opinion what should i do ??
Posted Fri, 9 Aug 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
A small tear in the ear drum is the likely cause of pain and feeling clogged even after a week. If it is a small and partial tear then this should heal on its own and you can use an antibiotic ear drop to avoid any infection in the area.

If it is a full thickness tear then a surgical repair is recommended for an early recovery. This can be differentiated only by an ENT surgeon after a physical examination.
Meanwhile you can follow these suggestions:
1) Reduce caffeine and salt intake.
2) Avoid smoking and consumption of alcohol.
3) Avoid using objects to clean your ears. Use earplugs while bathing.
4) Take a a multivitamin supplementation once daily.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Feeling clogged ear. No pain and can hear. Suggested tear in ear. What should I do? 11 hours later
how much time does it take for a small tear to heal..
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 10 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
A small or partial tear usually heals in 7-10 days. If the clogged feeling persists beyond that then a re evaluation by an ENT surgeon is recommended.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.