Feeling chill throughout body. Trying to get warmer and having euccess. Treatment?

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
I have chills throughout my body nos for 6 hrs am in bed trying to get warmer. having some euccess,
Posted Sat, 21 Sep 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Sign of infection.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for using Healthcare Magic.
The chills you are experiencing are a sign of infection. As you have a number of medical conditions and are 80 years of age I consider that the source of infection needs to be identified promptly so that appropriate treatment can be started.
The possibilities that I would consider first would be a chest infection or a viral infection such as influenza.
A urinary tract infection may be associated with burning or stinging when you pass water and frequency, that is having to pass water frequently. This is diagnosed by a test of your urine.
A chest infection would be suggested by a cough with sputum and is diagnosed largely by history and examination This is treated with antibiotics.
Influenza would be suggested by widespread muscle aches.
In summary, I would suggest that you wait 24 hours during which time you take paracetamol for its beneficial effect on temperature. Rest in bed. Drink plenty of water. If your symptoms do not improve during this time, I suggest you see a doctor to consider antibiotics and a definitive diagnosis.
I hope this has helped you. If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact me.
Dr K Pottinger