Feeling cervixal opening always open. Normal? Not given birth. Guide?

My cervixal opening always feels slightly open. I have never given birth before. Is this normal? Ive been checking my cervical position, mucous, and texture for many cycles and it has never been closed or felt like a dimple. Its always felt like a slit
Posted Sat, 28 Sep 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
There are many causes of this appearance

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for discussing your concerns with us.
This is true that cervical opening or "External Os" looks like a dimple or pinhole in most nulliparous ( no history of births) women.
There is no hard & fast rule. Women who have different (softer) type of collagen or connective tissue may have softer cervix that may look slit like.
In addition age & hormonal status may play a role; as during pregnancy cervix may become very soft & gaping even in nulliparous women.
During most of a woman's menstrual cycle, the cervix remains firm, like the tip of the nose, and is positioned towards back and is closed. However, as a woman approaches ovulation or mid cycle, the cervix becomes softer, more similar to the lips (slit like), and rises towards front and opens in response to the high levels of estrogen present at the time of ovulation.
Moreover, women with week genital tissues or insufficient cervix may have such an appearance all the time. Please don't get upset this is always a retrospective diagnosis & can only be made if a woman miscarries habitually in the mid-trimester. Appearance of the cervix alone is not sufficient to make a diagnosis of cervical insufficiency.
Hope I have given you the desired response.
Wish you good health.
Follow-up: Feeling cervixal opening always open. Normal? Not given birth. Guide? 22 minutes later
I have had an ultrasound and my OB said my cervix is normal. A few years ago i got very bad cramping it was unbearable. When i went to the bathroom i saw chunks of flesh colored skin looking pieces about the size of a quarter come out of my vagina. There were two pieces and they were blood tinged. Also after i started to bleed and the cramping was so bad. I called my OB and she said it sounded like a miscarriage. I never suspected pregnancy so if i was having a miscarriage i wouldnt have known. I never went in for an appointment until a couple of montha after. If that was a miscarriage would that explain my cervix always feeling slit
Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
This history may have a role.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your reply.
This is good to know that your cervix is normal as per expert opinion.
Yes, That could have been a miscarriage, but usually when you are pregnant you have some signs & symptoms like missing periods.
Other possibilities could be spontaneous expulsion of a uterine or cervical polyp or a fibroid polyp. This, along with the cervical dilatation it had caused, may well be the cause of slit like appearance of your cervix. You should have sent that piece for lab testing ( histopathology) for confirmation.
Women who have heavy periods may pass large clots along with lining of your womb. This may also produce such confusing pictures.
Any of the above may have a role in producing this appearance of cervix.
I stress again, please don't take it seriously unless you have a history of habitual abortions.
Best wishes.