Feeling burning sensation in upper chest after swallowing an advil liquid gel without water. Concerned

Question
I swallowed an advil liquid gel without water, which I never do - and now I feel a burning sensation in my upper chest. Nothing too extreme but I don't know if maybe I'm being paranoid after reading of ill effects about swallowing pills without water. I didn't have water for almost an hour or more after swallowing the pill. will this go away? Is it possible to have gotten stuck in my esophagus? Does the fact that it's a liquid gel mean it hopefully dissolves?
Posted Wed, 14 Nov 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 2 hours later
Thanks for writing in to Healthcare Magic!
The active ingredient in Advil is ibuprofen, an NSAID (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug) that is a pain reliever and fever reducer and can be ulcerogenic if taken on empty stomach.
Preferably it should be taken after you eat something and should use water to flush it down the esophagus.
The gel has remained partly smeared on esophagus and has produced irritation that is why you are feeling the trouble. Eat something like a banana or bread-milk and take liberal fluids.
It would resolve soon, but you should be aware in future about this.
If you have any further query please let me know I would try to answer it for you.
Wish you a great health!