Feeling breathlessness and stopped passing urine after taking cepodem 200. What are the risks?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013

Neurologist
Question
I took a Cepodem 200 at 12 PM and now it is 3:31 PM and I have not had passed any urine till then. I assume it is a side effect of Cepodem. I am also feeling breathlessness. I cant sleep. As soon as I feel asleep, I wake up for breathe shortage. What should I do now? Will it go automatically in 12 hours?
Posted Thu, 1 Nov 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 34 minutes later
Thank you for contacting Healthcare magic.
Cefodem (cefodoxime) is a safe antibiotic and commonly does not lead to any significant side effects.
However, in rare cases, allergic reactions may occur.
Breathlessness could be a sign of allergy due to cefodem. Especially, if breathing problem is accomapnied with skin rash, itching, swelling around mouth or eyes; then allergic reaction is the likely possibility.
As of now, you should not take the next dose of cefodem.
Please inform this to your physician during your next visit.
If symptoms of breathlessness persist, you can visit a clinic, and get treatment for possible allergy. Medicines such as Avil and hydrocortisone injections may be required.
Please get back if you have any more queries.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad

Follow-up: Feeling breathlessness and stopped passing urine after taking cepodem 200. What are the risks? 12 minutes later
I took the medicine at around 12-1 PM. How long should I wait for the medicine to lose its effect ? How long should I wait until I decide I must visit a clinic now?

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 8 minutes later
The medicine should lose its effect within 12 hours. If symptoms still persist, you may visit the doctor.
However, if you are having a lot of difficulty in breathing, you may visit the doctor earlier also.
I hope it clarifies.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM

Follow-up: Feeling breathlessness and stopped passing urine after taking cepodem 200. What are the risks? 5 hours later
Did you have a look at my medical history as well? Any suggestions ?

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 9 minutes later
I have gone through your medical history.

Difference in the size of testis can be a normal variation.

Swelling of prostate can not be seen by naked eye. It either needs per rectal examination or an ultrasound.

In any case, I would advise you to consult a Urologist for a better diagnosis and treatment advice.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM