Feeling breathless. Xray showing linear atelectasis in the left costophrenic angle. What is the treatment?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
As a child I lived in a blue asbestos town where my father was chief engineer of the mine. He and my sister died of mesothelioma. I have been getting more breathless after minor exercise for several years. My latest x-ray results are"there is some linear atelectasis in the left costophrenic angle and also some further linear atelactasis/pleural thickening in the right lung base>" What does this mean and will it progress? My email address is YYYY@YYYY . My age is 74.
Posted Tue, 26 Nov 2013 in Environmental and Occupational Hazards
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Detailed Answer: Thanks for the query. These findings are nonspecific and it indicates some mild lung changes(collpase of small part of lung) which can be seen in emphysemas, previously healed lung infections,COPD or in lung tumors including mesotelioma. However,mesotelioma is not the first thing to think of but it cant be ruled out by xray so I suggest to do CT lung scan and it will show the exact pathology. Also,check your osteopontin and SMRPs blood levels. Considering this finding I dont think this is cause of your breathless since only the minority of lungs is affected and I dont think that there will be rapid progression,but you should just do frequent follow ups. Of course, after the lung tumors are ruled out. Wish you good health. Feel free to ask.regards