Feeling body pain, chills, fever and, shortness of breath. Have arthritis in lower back. What is wrong?

My body aches, I have the chills sometime, feel like I have a fever but dont, had a xray states I have arthritis in lower back back. I have shortness of breath, get tired by doing nothing. Takes naps in afternoon. when I inhale I get the feeling like when your down the beach and cant get a full breath. Also body aches at night. havent slept a full sleep in over a month. Lost my hunger. Im 69 yrs old and I am raising my 6 yr of grandson. Please helpme find out what is wrong Also get hot flashes at times
Posted Mon, 27 Aug 2012 in Arthritis
Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 1 hour later
Hello there,

Thanks for writing in.

I would suggest you visit your physician and get yourself evaluated . Given your age, with the history of tiredness and shortness of breath, a cardiac work up needs to be done. The doctor might advise you to get the following tests done ; complete blood picture, thyroid function test, Vitamin B12 levels, serum electrolytes, blood sugars , fasting lipid profile, Blood pressure recording,ECG , Chest X -Ray.

Viral illness, thyroid disorders, anaemia, vitamin B12 defeciency, diabetes, cardiac problems , Anxiety/Depression, Post menopause, can present with the symptoms you are currently experiencing.

Hope I have answered your queries. I would be happy to answer any further queries you might have.

In case you don't have any further queries, kindly accept my answer. Any reviews are welcome.

Get well soon.

Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan