Feeling bloated with rapid heart beat after drinking alcohol. Reason?

When I have a bad hangover I can feel my heart beating really badly and feel really bloated and constantly have try and make myself burp, what is this ?
Posted Sun, 21 Apr 2013 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Payman Hajiazim 10 minutes later
Hi there, thanks for asking. It is a good question and also good observation. Alcohol makes the upper sphincter of the stomach and its muscles relaxed, so it causes more bloating and also reflux. Some other things like coffee or spicy foods can aggravate this issue.
Heart beating could be related to dehydration following drinking alcohol. Alcohol consumes water molecules to be metabolized and also causes more going to the washroom, so body will find shortage of water and it causes the heart to beat faster.
I wish you a good health.