Feeling bloated, fullness and passing blood in stool. Family history of crohn's disease. Worrisome

General Surgeon
I am a 54 year old male .. Very fit and eat a strict diet low in animal fats and high in plant dep foods. Over the past year , on an off bleeding in the toilet. Always bright red and not tarry. It has been every day over the past few weeks and also a feeling oa bloating, fullness and now steady gurgling. I went to my gastro last week and it was the only day there was no significant bleeding. He schedules a banding for my hemorrhoid s as that I have had been diagnosed before with. The exact diagnosis was significantly enlarged XXXXXXX hemorrhoids. Also, my mother and her father had Crohn's disease. My doctor told me I was not a candidate for that. My question is: does the hemorrhoids also cause all the other stuff or do I have something concurrently happening.? I also have had some anxiety over the past year due to financial pressure and loss of a very close sibling from muscular dystrophy. Otherwise, I am healthy and exercise daily and teach and practice yoga daily. I do drink 2 glasses of red wine with dinner but no hard alcohol and never smoked.
Posted Mon, 18 Mar 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 9 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Hemorrhoid is the last disease that should be diagnosed. There is much more serious disease which has to be ruled out before focusing on hemorrhoids. Most likely you have had this hemorrhoids for years so the current symptoms can be due to other disease. Especially that hemorrhoids can not cause bloating and fullness.
Guidelines do tell that if the person older than 50 years old and has any bleeding with stool or any other abdominal symptoms, colonoscopy should be done. And it should not be surprising for your gastroenterologist.
Only after this test, you can be told that you have hemorrhoids and nothing more.
And if so, you can have it removed with surgery. But colonoscopy should be done first.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Follow-up: Feeling bloated, fullness and passing blood in stool. Family history of crohn's disease. Worrisome 13 minutes later
Yes.. But I have had a colonoscopy last year and nothing abnormal except for the enlarged hemorrhoids. Was there last week and that was the only day I had no blood in my anus. Since then the bright red bleeding and stomach fullness. He ruled out colon cancer abd Crohn's .. So I am asking you as I am traveling now, what is this symptomatic of? and is there anything I can take to alleviate until next week...
The rumbling is pretty steady and bleeding every morning
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 8 minutes later
Ok, so you seem to be diagnosed correctly and there is nothing you should worry about.
Your symptoms are most likely caused by diet. Travel can also trigger such symptoms as digestive tract is very sensitive for every habits or diet changes (and travel is such habit change). Stress can also give such symptoms.
To deal with your symptoms you should increase fiber XXXXXXX products, drink more mineral water, avoid fatty foods, soft drinks, spicy foods. You should also start probiotics supplementation. For hemorrhoids treatment you can try sitz baths with Quercus Cortex, wash your rectum after every stool, and use prescription free hemorrhoids suppositories.

Hope this will help.