Feeling bloated and have constant diarrhea. Required treatment?

I constantly have diarrhoea, gassy and bloated. I've been like it for years and its never bothered me til now. I'm a little self conscious about my smell and if there is a toilet close.
Posted Mon, 25 Mar 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 23 minutes later
Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing to us.

From your description and duration (years) of these symptoms, it appears as though you could be suffering from irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) or celiac's disease (difficulty in digesting certain food products only). I feel IBS is more likely, which is why I shall write more on IBS for you.

The symptoms for IBS are:
-Abdominal bloating
-Gas or flatulence
-Bouts of diarrhea or constipation after consuming triggering factors (I shall mention them later in this post)
-Abdominal pain or cramping (especially after eating or drinking triggering factors)
-Increased and sudden urge to pass stools after consuming a triggering factor
-Mucus in stool (not always seen)

Triggering factors:
-Spicy food
-Oily, fatty, fried food
-Dairy products
-Sugar containing drinks
-Carbonated drinks

Most of the symptoms of IBS are experienced after being exposed to these triggering factors.

Treatment of IBS includes: anti-spasmodics, anti-diarrheal medication, etc. But the main treatment is to avoid contact with triggering factors. Knowledge on your condition and a strong will can help you greatly.

I hope this information helps. Do write back to me for any further information, I would be glad to help you.

Best wishes.