Ask a Urologist   »  

Feeling bloated and found blood clot in urine. Should I consult a doctor?

General Surgeon
I am starting to have similar symptoms as when I previously had a UTI. Symptoms started this afternoon, with increasing blood in what little bit of urine I can void. Now, I'm having blood clots and it is almost as much blood as if I were having my period with severe pain after I void, otherwise what feels like bloating and the urge to urinate. I plan on going to MD in the am, but at what point should I go to the ER?
Posted Wed, 9 Jan 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 14 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

You should go to your doctor right away. You never know how long does this uti lasts. You have diabetes what makes you prone to High blood sugar level causes high urine sugar level. It makes bacteria grow much easier as sugar is all they need to grow.
Moreover, in some cases blood in urine is the first symptom of urinary bladder tumors.
So it is advisable for you to go to your doctor and have some tests. Urine analysis, full blood work and abdominal ultrasound with urinary bladder checkup should be performed. You should also consult urologist.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Follow-up: Feeling bloated and found blood clot in urine. Should I consult a doctor? 2 minutes later
Regarding the pain and amount of blood, do you think this can wait until the morning to go to my doctor or should I go to the ER
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 15 minutes later

It is hard to tell when exactly you need to go to the doctor. In some cases such uti can get healed without medical attention as urine has bacteriostatic properties (it prevents bacteria from growing and flushes it from urinary tract). But in some cases, when uti can cause kidneys failure. Such failure usually starts when the patient stops drinking enought amount of water or there is not enough urine secreted.
Moreover, you have said that you are loosing significant amount of blood. This is not normal situation and can have many reasons. So I suggest you, if possible to visit the doctor right away.

Hope this will help.