Feeling aching and sore breasts. Have regular periods. How to keep myself healthy?

HI dr. Lundi

I am going for blood work/tests on wd am. At this point, though i am 50, I have had regular periods, and have had intercourse on jun 30 and jul 2. my Last cycle began XXXXXXX 20. it is on average 26-29 days. My breasts re achinginly sorre--never this way before during PMS. also, i had some lt tan-coloured spotting on the tissue, when wiping, but nothing in panties. i figure if i am pregnant, my hcg levels are just getting to wherer they need to be fo a hpt. I will get the prego-related test on wed. ... my bigger question is if i am, how do i keep myself as healthy as possible/ I had 2 children easily before: 1993, 1999. I am 5'8" 137 lbs, active, pt-working teacher/artist/actor. Any advice? I am not taking any extra vitamins... Also, can the very first symptoms of meopause be sooo like this? that would blow my mind.
Posted Sun, 4 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rene Gerard Cruz Galera Jr 3 hours later
Hi XXXXX, I am Dr. Galera. Thank you for your question and welcome to our site.

Although we cannot entirely discount that you are pregnant until you have the test, I am leaning more towards the first symptoms of your menopause.

To help guide you, you were fertile around July 1-5 based on your last menstrual cycle. You may perform the pregnancy test as early as the first day if you miss your next period or within 3 weeks after your last unprotected intercourse. To support a possible pregnancy, I would advise that for the meantime, eat foods XXXXXXX in folate like beans, sprouts, asparagus, and nuts. If you do test positive, I would highly advise that you see an obstetrician-gynecologist as soon as possible. Pregnancies in your age are at high risk for a lot of complications so you need to be managed and monitored very closely.

Now, menopause as you may already know, can occur during the late 40s or the early 50s. The first symptoms of menopause vary from woman to woman but commonly, they include breast pain, changes in menstruation (they become shorter and, in turn, more frequent), vaginal dryness which may cause some brownish discharge, mood swings and hot flashes, to name a few. These symptoms are fortunately temporary and there are a lot of things that you can do to reduce such symptoms including relaxation techniques, eating healthy and continuing your active lifestyle.

I hope I was able to answer your question. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask me.

Take care!

Dr. Galera