Feel yeast infection. Treated with monistat. Vagina swollen and have irritation. Tested positive for bacterial infection. Guide?

(nullThree months ago I began what what felt like a terrible yeast infection. I treated it w monistat one day ovule. The ovule burned horribly and my vagina became so swollen that i thought it was swollen shut. It has never felt right since. A week ago i went to my obgyn because my left inner side of the opening of my vagina was very swollen. She noted the irritation and said she didnt see anything scary. I tested positive for a bacterial infection. I received an antifungal cream, diflucan and metro... And an Oral antibiotic. She noted that the area looked dryed. I began the treatment and the cream really burned. I stopped four days in as everything down there was really unhappy. Really red, one ulcer burn looking area and now there is a yellowish bump at the bottom of the vagina. The side of the inflamation pain is now radiating from the inside to the outside of my groin area. Sitting has been unbearable. Im at my wits end w worry and exhaustion. Can you help?

Posted Wed, 21 Aug 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Anjana Rao Kavoor 1 hour later
Thanks for writing in.

I have gone through your query in detail.
It is understood that first you had a fungal infection for which you got treated. Subsequently, there was a secondary bacterial infection for which you took ointments and oral medications.

Presently, you had applies a cream for dryness in the area and there was what you explain as a chemical burn and right now you are left with a yellowish bump with pain radiating to your groin area.

With the above features, it could be explained by repeated infection of fungal and/ or bacterial nature. Sometimes the antibiotic course is not taken for long enough to fight out all bacteria present and this problem can recur. The pain radiating to groin area could be due to involvements of lymphatics and your inguinal area must be checked for enlarged lymphnodes.

The chemical burn/ ulcer may be a result of adverse effect to sensitive skin. Please report it immediately to your doctor. I suggest you discuss your situation with your doctor and have your medications altered if felt necessary.

Hope your query is answered.
Should be any further queries, please feel free to ask.

Dr A Rao Kavoor
Follow-up: Feel yeast infection. Treated with monistat. Vagina swollen and have irritation. Tested positive for bacterial infection. Guide? 7 minutes later
Thank you! I have been panicked about herpes. Could i have that? I made the mistake and googled.
Answered by Dr. Anjana Rao Kavoor 10 minutes later
Thanks for writing in with a quick update.

You have not mentioned any pain or blister formation which are the main features of herpes. I would like to make you aware of the presentation of genital herpes.

Symptoms include:
Itching or burning feeling in the genital or anal area
Pain in the legs, buttocks, or genital area
Discharge of fluid from the vagina
Feeling of pressure in the abdomen

Genital herpes is caused by the HSV). There are two forms of this virus, HSV-1 affecting the lips and mouth and causes fever with blisters, and HSV-2 causing blisters to form on the genitals, anus, thighs, and buttocks. Herpes infection stays in the body but goes through periods of activity and dormancy.

Disease activity: When activated, the virus travels down the nerves to the infected skin where its activity causes blisters to form. This is a painful condition. After a few days, those blisters burst and turn into open sores or ulcers. Eventually, scabs form over the wounds and the sores heal. The whole process can take as long as 4 weeks to complete. A person is highly contagious while the disease is active in his or her body. Transmission rates are very high during active disease. Most often children, elderly and immune compromised patients manifest active disease very fast.

A person who is newly infected with genital herpes will experience their first outbreak within 14 days. They may have multiple outbreaks during their first year, but the number of outbreaks will gradually reduce each year thereafter.

However if your doctor has examined you completely, it is unlikely that herpes would have been missed.

Hope your query is answered.

Dr A Rao Kavoor