Feel very sleepy and hungry. Thyroid test normal, have mild sugar and BP. Not able to reduce weight

i feel very sleepy and hungry all the time i have done thyriod test which is belwo TOTAL TRIIODOTHYRONINE (T3)C.L.I.A 103ng/dl TOTAL THYROXINE (T4)C.L.I.A 13.5?/dl THYROID STIMULATING HORMONE (TSH)C.L.I.A 1.79U/ml. Also note that my wight was almost 103 kg and ist very stubborn after so much diet and excrcie also i can not reduce ver litil in last one year i can reduce only 5 kg . I have mild sugar and bp . Which is under control . I am taking medine for high bp telema am . for sugar diet control.
Posted Wed, 19 Jun 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Om Lakhani 46 minutes later

Your thyroid function is fine. We don't need to do anything further for that as of now. With this much of weight and high sugars with hypertension we need to rule out Cushing's syndrome. For this we need to get done the following test

"24 hr urinary Cortisol"

This test will screen for possible Cushing's syndrome. Apart from this I would also advice you to get done HbA1c for your sugars which will tell us about last 3 months average sugar values. If you HBA1c is high we can start you on Metformin which will also help in weight control.

Uncontrolled sugars, obesity and cushing's syndrome all of them can contribute to your sleepiness. However, most importantly with you feeling sleepy all the time and with your weight we need to rule out a condition known as "Obstructive sleep apnea". You need to XXXXXXX a sleep specialist or Pulmonologist in your area to rule out obstructive sleep apnea.

Dr. Om Lakhani,MD
Physician, Diabetologist & Endocrinologist.

Follow-up: Feel very sleepy and hungry. Thyroid test normal, have mild sugar and BP. Not able to reduce weight 14 minutes later
Doctor ,
I want to bring some more indormations l
1. I think i have ovaerstaed the problem of sleeping , i feel it mostly when i am not doing any activity . if i am doing some actvity than i dont feel like . like if working on some taks i dont face any problem or when whatching or talking with somebody also that time i dont feel like this.
2. Regarding feeling hungry as i am eating less than i was used to do , is it may be this reason.

can you let me know is t4 high level is no issue . And what is this test 24 hr urinary Cortisol. thanks
Answered by Dr. Om Lakhani 3 minutes later

An isolated elevated of total t4 has no importance as long as your TSH is normal. 24 hr urinary cortisol is test for Diagnosis of Cushing's syndrome (it is a disease of Glucocorticoid excess in body).

Sometimes changes in diet and any diet plan can cause hunger because body is not used to the change in calorie. It should pass with time when you body will become more used to the change in calorie intake.

Dr. Om Lakhani.