Feel very depressed. Feel I am not intelligent. What can be done?

Psychiatrist
Question
everytime i remain depressed but dont know why and this quetion is hittibg my mind everytime that i am not as intelliget as others are? and my heart doesnt feel anything from the last 2 years .kindly update me i this regard.thanku
Posted Wed, 10 Jul 2013 in Mental Health

Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 1 hour later
Hello
Thanks for your query. I understand the concern with your symptoms. Patients report with this type of symptoms commonly enough in our opd. The possible differential diagnosis include dysthymic disorder that is chronic depressive disorder, early stages of psychotic disorder and a feature of personalit disorders like anxious avoidant disorder. My first advice would be a thorough psychiatric evaluation to rule out the above disorders. This can be followed bt appropriate management including ssri group of drugs for depression and psychotherapy techniques like cbt or cognitive behavioral therapy. The symptom you report if I.e not feeling anything is referred to as apathy and respinds well to psychotherapy. Wish you good health.
Dr XXXXXXX
Psychiatrist

Follow-up: Feel very depressed. Feel I am not intelligent. What can be done? 7 minutes later
thanks a lot sir for your reply

Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 42 minutes later
Hello
Wish you speedy recovery and good health.
Dr XXXXXXX
Psychiatrist