Feel tired, low motivation, sleepiness, headache. Reason and what treatment should I take?

I am a 39 year old female and I have become tired all of the time. I have tried to manage this new tiredness with coffee, but that doesn't seem to do much good, so I stopped drinking coffee. I am not motivated to do anything. I work for myself, so this is becoming a problem. I can sleep whenever I want to during the day and all night long too. Acting like I am awake is just that: an act. I really just want to sleep.

I am not overweight (5'4", 135lbs). I eat lots of fresh fruits and vegetables, but I don't exercise as much as I probably should.

I also started having "ice pick" headaches around the same time that the excessive tiredness became apparent. These headaches consist of a ~3 second needle-like stabbing pain in the top of my head, and dull headache in between.

I have no health insurance, and I don't have a lot of money, so my question is about where to start. Should I see an allergist or some other kind of doctor?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Posted Fri, 13 Jul 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ashwini Kolur 6 hours later

I will try my best to provide you with best possible professional recommendations to your questions.

I think you may be suffering from anemia. The symptoms mentioned by you also points towards it.

I advice you to get an complete blood picture investigation done to know the levels of Hb. It will also be better if you get your blood pressure checked.

Even the headache may be due to the tiredness, if it is not tolerable you can consider taking over the counter available painkillers.

Most of the time anemia is due to iron inefficiency, taking iron supplementsand eating iron-rich foods are important parts of treating ferrous sulfate) are needed to build up the iron stores in your body.

I advice you to get your test done and depending on the report treatment can be planned. Meanwhile i advice you to drink plenty of water ear healthy food.
Yet again, I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query.

Hope i have cleared your queries. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer

Follow-up: Feel tired, low motivation, sleepiness, headache. Reason and what treatment should I take? 42 hours later
Thank you for your reply. I eat raw spinach every day (usually twice a day), and bok choy (chinese cabbage) about 4 times a week.

Would I go to a general practitioner for this blood work?

Answered by Dr. Ashwini Kolur 19 hours later

It is good to know that you consume spinach and bok choy. Continue to consume them.

Yes, you should go to a general Physician to get the tests done.

Get well soon.