Feel tired and stressed. Noticed lymph nodes on neck painful. Any relation between tiredness and lymph nodes?

Psychiatrist
Question
Hi doc, would like to ask if there's any link with tiredness and lymph nodes? Whenever I feel stress and very tired, the lymph nodes on my neck tends to be slightly painful.. its not of any particular lump but I can just feel a few very small little rubbery movable pea liked lumps around my neck.. But of course with no other symptoms.. Just tiredness on neck. However when i have plenty of rest, those small little lymph nodes are painless when pressed and are not so obvious..

Can I ask, if its normal to feel your lymph nodes on your neck especially for skinny people like me? It only gets achy only when I am very tired or stress. Other than that those lymph nodes are not giving me any troubles. Thanks!
Posted Thu, 17 Oct 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Anjana Rao Kavoor 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Clinical examination necessary.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in to us.

It is usual for a skinny person to feel subcutaneous structures in the neck like small lymph nodes, vessels and muscles. This might be because of the less amount of fat present below the skin.

Lymph nodes are associated with the body's capacity to fight disease and get enlarged during infections. I would suggest you to get clinically examined by a surgeon for those suspected neck lymph nodes that you feel because it is difficult to be certain without a clinical examination. If felt necessary your doctor might get an ultrasound scan to confirm the findings.

Though small lymph nodes may seem harmless, any possibility of enlarged lymph nodes needs complete clinical evaluation as you are having associated tiredness.

Hope your query is answered.
Do write back in case of doubts.

Dr.A.Rao Kavoor