Feel the heart beat increases when lying down before sleeping. Have normal heart, liver and lung test. Cause?

Sometimes, I feel the heart beat / heart beat increasing while lying down just before sleep or while sleeping or even day time while working. mostly after lunch ( I am not sure)

I have done a medical checkup for heart, lungs & liver. All the report says everything is normal.

Can you let me know that what could be the reason & how to avoid it.

Posted Sun, 4 Aug 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 2 hours later

Since all your investigations are normal, the only cause or reason that I could think of is stress. Only other possibility is increased thyroid function or Hyperthyrodism.

Do you smoke or consume alcohol often? This can be triggering factor for increase in heart rate.

How to avoid it?

-You must relax in the morning as soon as you wake up. Go for a stroll. Do yoga.

- You should take frequent breaks in your work time and do deep breathing exercises to increase good oxygen supply to the lungs and blood supply to the heart.

- Stop smoking or drinking, if you do.

- Again, before going to bed you must meditate for 20 minutes at least to get a peaceful and restful sleep.

I hope this gives you an insight about your problem. Let me know if you have more queries.

Take care!
Follow-up: Feel the heart beat increases when lying down before sleeping. Have normal heart, liver and lung test. Cause? 10 minutes later
Hello Dr.

Thanks for your details.

I did thyroid test as well and this report says it is normal.

I was smoking (almost last 10 years) but quite before 5 months. I do drink (mostly 2 bottle beer) by twice a week.

Regarding to sleep, I have no issues. I sleep (sound sleep) in 5 to 10 mins after reaching bed.

Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 19 hours later

Hope you are doing well.

I am glad that your thyroid test is normal. Also, good that you quit smoking. Reduce on the beer intake as well and follow my earlier suggestions.

You should be fine soon.

Take care!