Feel tension in neck muscles, hear grinding sound on turning head. Measures to prevent pain?

I have been feeling tense neck muscles now to the point where I cannot turn my head. I put on a heat pack, heating blanket, and take a couple naproxin for it at that stage. However, when loose, I hear a grinding sound when I turn my head to the left, and when I look forward again, I hear a click almost like when tapping teeth together very gently. I will be starting a new job on XXXXXXX 1st that will give me benefits starting two months from the start date. Is there anything I can do to prevent pain and/or injury or treat it until I can get to see a doctor?
Posted Mon, 20 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Balaji Chinnasami 2 hours later
Thanks for your query to healthcare magic.

From what you are describing,in my opinion you are most probably suffering from Cervical spondylosis. It is a condition involving changes to the bones, discs, and joints of the neck. Cervical spondylosis most often causes neck pain and stiffness.
However you need to visit a orthopedician to confirm diagnosis. untill then you can try treatment options like:
1. Rest
2. Use of analgesics like ibuprofen, diclofinac etc for relief from pain & inflammation
3. Chiropractic manipulation that can help to control episodes of more severe pain
4.Wearing a cervical collar to limit movement and provide support
5. Also, other forms of physical therapy like application of heat and cold therapy, traction, or exercise will help.

Hope the information was useful. If you have any further queries in this regard im happy to answer, if no kindly close the query & rate it.

Take care,
Dr.Balaji Chinnasami, MD