Feel sore throat while swallowing. Have encrypted tonsils. Cause for reoccurring sore throats?

ENT Specialist

Starting this month i had a sore throat and a cough for 2 weeks. I went to the doctor-
Throat was/is red
Lungs are clear
Think it was some type virus.
The sore thorat went away but little cough lingered. Its now roughly 2 weeks since sore throat and it is back again. Sore throat when swallowing. Also like my throat is tired from too much talking but i havent talked/screamed a lot.
I have always had throat issue. I havw encrypted tonsils and saw an ent in 2009- i have a referral for one on the 10th of October to see if there is anything else since i get sore throats often.
I also just had a complete blood pannel done and all was good.

Any insite on reoccuring sore throats? Does this sound like throat cancer?! This is a huge fear of mine.
Posted Wed, 16 Oct 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
There is no cause for worry.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. If there is no fever, an anti-allergic muclytic and a medicated oral rinse with steam inhalation will help soothe the throat. Keep yourself warm and well hydrated.

2. Viral and post viral symptoms may last many weeks.

3. Get a videolaryngoscopy done and if it is normal, the possibility of throat cancer is virtually nil. Cancer is progressive and has many other symptoms. Regular follow up will detect any such problem.

4. Avoid exposure to tobacco and alcohol.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.