Feel slight lump in throat while swallowing, no pain. Do smoking and snore a lot. Suggest?

Oncologist
Question
HI.... I FEEL A SLIGHT LUMP IN MY THROAT WHEN I SWALLOW. NO PAIN. JUST A LITTLE OFF FROM NORMAL. I SMOKE A PACK A DAY AND I SNORE ALOT. I'M 240 LBS
Posted Wed, 16 Oct 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Observation

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for sending a question.

This is a very good question and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations.

The most common cause of this type of symptom would be some inflammation in the back of the esophagus. This will usually slowly fade away within a couple of weeks.

However if you continue to have this sensation I would recommend that you review this with your Sometimes we need to investigate further with imaging studies or possibly with Hey camera to make sure there's nothing else going on.

For now I would recommend that you continue to stay well hydrated and try not to worry about this too much. But if symptoms continue I think you should talk about it with your primary care doctor and he might consider checking some imaging studies or sending you to a doctor who can take a look in that area.

Thank you again for sending the question.

Dr. Galamaga

Follow-up: Feel slight lump in throat while swallowing, no pain. Do smoking and snore a lot. Suggest? 13 minutes later
THANKS DOCTOR, I AM CONCERNED BECAUSE OF SMOKING HISTORY. IF THIS WERE A TUMOR, I AM NOT WASTING TIME BY GIVING SYMTOMS TIME TO CLEAR UP?

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 16 hours later
Brief Answer:
Not a waste of time

Detailed Answer:
For the next 10 days this is not a waste of time. Give it this period of time and if not better seek expert opinion. No harm in waiting this period of time.

Dr. Galamaga