Feel short of breath and something stuck in throat. Prescribed Escitalopram. Help?

My name is XXXXXXX . the last couple of weeks I am short of breath and I feel like there is something stuck in my throat and I can't cough it out. I had a bad night last night because I could sleep and i was waking every 10 min because I wasn't feeling comfortable breathing in any position. Its probably worth mentioning that the beginning of this year I was told from a couple of specialists that I have panic attacks. I still don't believe its all stress related. I think maybe something is wrong with me. I mean physically . Isn't panic attack something that comes(with all the symptoms) and goes not being short of breath almost all the time? I don't know what to do . I got prescribed Escitalopram but I haven't started them yet. What if I don't need antidepressants . I am willing to try and see if they will help but can they affect me bad if I am taking them and I don't need them. I am so confused ?!

I need help pls!
Posted Fri, 26 Jul 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 39 days later
Hello XXXXX;

I would be happy to answer your questions. You state you feel like something is stuck in your throat and you can't cough it you have shortness of breath.

Do you have any history of asthma or any lung disease...what about sleep apnea?

It is not normal to be short of breath all the time...and yes the shortness of breath with panic attacks does come and go.

If you can answer the following questions that would be helpful:

1) What is your height and weight?
2) Do you smoke?
3) Do you have any history of lung disease such as asthma or COPD?
4) Do you have a family history of any kind of lung disease?
5) Is there anything you notice that makes your symptoms worse or better?

If you can answer these questions I will be better able to help you.

Thank you.