Feel sharp pain in knees. Could you suggest something?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I feel sharp pain in my knees when I am going up the stairs (leg at 90 degree and weight on that foot). I have seen the doctors couple of times but they said there is nothing wrong (they asked me to fold the leg at 90 and then moved it, but it does not hurt if there is no weight on it). Could you suggest or help with this?

Posted Wed, 28 Aug 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 21 hours later

Thanks for writing in.

Pain in your knees on going up the stairs could be due to chondromalacia where softening of the articular cartilage of the kneecap occurs or due to arthritic changes in your knees.

I suggest you to get an xray of your knees done in standing position and consult an orthopaedician for proper examination and diagnosis of the condition.

I also suggest you to-
1. Do regular Exercise. Exercise can increase your endurance and strengthen the muscles around your joint, making your joint more stable. Stick to gentle exercises, such as walking, biking or swimming.
2. Lose weight if you are obese- Being overweight or obese increases the stress on your weight-bearing joints, such as your knees and your hips. Even a small amount of weight loss can relieve some pressure and reduce your pain.
3. Use heat and cold to manage pain. Both heat and cold can relieve pain in your joint. Heat also relieves stiffness and cold can relieve muscle spasms.
4. Take diet XXXXXXX in calcium, vitamin d3 and minerals.

Hope this helps you. Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.