Feel pain in the back while breathing. Chest feels noisy and rattling. Suggest

Hi my breathing has gotten worse now the weather is getting colder. And I am having pain whilst breathing in my back I think from having numerous Asthma Attacks this week. At night my chest is worse, just as the that cold air comes in and my chest is very noisy and rattling. My husband told me to stop snoring but it was me awake with my rattly chest. Today I am so sore under the bottom of my ribs at front and hurts when I move either side and coughing is unbearable. I am also getting alot of tonsil stones.
Posted Sun, 16 Jun 2013 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Shashi Dangwal 1 hour later

Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX

You are suffering from asthma and for asthmatics cold weather does`nt bring much cheer since symptoms are known to get worse in winters.

The pain in the chest area could be due to the excessive work of breathing as well as cough which so often accompanies breathlessness. I do hope you are not having fever , sputum production or any change in the colour of sputum if any. Because that would indicate an infection which can aggravate the asthma symptoms.

You may need some routine blood tests(tlc, dlc) and an x XXXXXXX chest to rule out any infection like pneumonia because that would also cause chest pain.

You have to be on regular inhaler medicines like levolin/salmeterol/fluticasone/tiova. These are generally available as combinations and i am sure you are already taking them. I would only like to advise that be regular with them without skipping a dose. Take regular nebulization with levolin and budecort. You may need a short course of oral/injectable steroids and a course of antibiotics if there is any evidence of infection. You must consult a pulmonologist who can have a complete look at you and advise you correctly.

Protect yourself against cold by wearing 2 to 3 layers of clothing rather than one heavy woollen. Avoid cold and dry air . Try and maintain moisture in the room. avoid exposure to dust, smoke or any known allergens. Do deep breathing exercise and take plenty of warm liquids including water.

I am sure that with little care and regular medication you will be well soon.