Feel on back to the swimming pool. Concerned about damaged to vertbre or disks?

My daughter who is 6 slipped and fell straight on her back at the swimming pool. she was running and her feet went out from under her. she says her back hurts where she hit and also higher up between her shoulder blades and when she walks down steps. I am not sure if she hit her head. I know the signs of concussion so I am ok there. What I am concerned about is her back. could she have damaged her vertbre or disks?
Posted Fri, 14 Jun 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 5 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query,

It is very unlikely that she should have a disc lesion or vertebra due to this particular accident. In case, this were the case, accompanying signs like severe pain, especially when standing up straight or on making lateral movements would have been very apparent.

Disc lesions are relatively very painful and usually limit the least movements. Damage to the vertebrae like fractures in children cannot easily go unnoticed since they might be accustomed to contain pain.

The most probable lesion here should just be a blunt trauma and mild to moderate inflammation. These symptoms should normally fade out within a few days.

Persistence of the pain, aggravation of the pain or onset of other symptoms not previously noticed should prompt a consultation with a physician to do appropriate radiologic exams ( Rays, MRI, CT scan) to rule out any possible lesion. For now I suggest you should be very calm and observe the child carefully.

Thanks and best regards,
Luchuo, MD.
Follow-up: Feel on back to the swimming pool. Concerned about damaged to vertbre or disks? 17 hours later
Thank you. She is doing well and as you said only has issues in the area of impact due to bruising.
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 5 minutes later
Hi and thanks for the update.

Its great there is nothing serious. We pray it evolves normally and she gets back to top form soon.
I am available in case you any other worries, do not hesitate.

Thanks again and best regards,
Luchuo, MD.