Feel obstruction below sternum while eating, belching, cough, vomiting with mucus. No further discomfort while eating.

Occasionally, once maybe twice in the preceding 30 days; restaurant eating, just received food; several bites into the meal; feel as though an 'obstruction' just below sternum. Unable to injest more. some belching ... retire to restroom; bend over ... cough .. repeatedly; one or two regurgitations of ingested food along with equal volume of clear/white mucus. several minuteslater, return to seat; resume eating; nofurther discomfort.
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 21 minutes later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

I understand that your mucus vomiting has got you concerned.

Mucus as you would know is secreted in the nasal sinuses of the upper respiratory tract, as a protective function. If excess amounts are secreted, then the vomit contains mucus as the oesophagus gets laden with it and stimulates the reflux.

I must think of good enough reasons for you, in here - as the conditions causing this include mostly upper respiratory (acute/chronic sinusitis), lung infections, post nasal drip.

If you do not have any of cough/colds/post nasal drip in the recent past - there is yet another possibility that acid reflux from the stomach is the culprit.

I feel the latter is more close to your diverticular history, but this would obviously need substantiation with tests.

I would advise you the following for now.
1. Specialist visit must. (Gastroenterologist or an ENT later)
2. Abandon fizzy/acidic/late night foods.
3. Do not eat and recline soon, keep an hours gap.
4. Get on fluids/semi solid food/easily digestible.
5. Review your diverticular condition to see the present status of gut.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.