Feel numbness on left thigh. Most of the times standing. What is the solution?

Dear Doctor,
I am 48 years old. I often feel a kind of numbness for a while on my outside left thigh. If i sit for while it disappears. I worked about 21 years in a hotel where most of the times stand or walk while at work. For the past 3 years i am into a facility management which does not involve always standing at workplace. What is the reason and what is the solution ? Please advise
Posted Fri, 8 Nov 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Xray of the lower back

Detailed Answer:

I am medical doctor, an associate in Department of Orthopedics, working with an experienced Orthopedic surgeon. I answer on his behalf.

Longer hours of standing or sitting can lead to spondylosis of the lower back spine. Such spondylosis can compress the nerves which supply to the lower limbs. Compression can lead to defective impulse transmission leading to numbness.

I suggest you to get an Xray of the lower back (Lumbosacral spine) to determine whether there is spondylosis.

Early treatment can reverse the process and provide relief permanently.