Feel like throat is blocked due to swollen glands. Having pain in ears and head. Any suggestion?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jun 2015
Jun 2015

Question
Hi I woke up yesturday morning with 1side of my throat feeling blocked an my glands swollen, so my doctor gave me antibiotics an this morning when I woke up I feel worse my heads hurting an heavy an my ears hurt wen I clear my nose an have pains down both arms
Posted Sat, 30 Nov 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Upper Respiratory Tract infection Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX Thanks for your query. The symptoms as mentioned in your post can be attributed to Upper Respiratory Tract infection. The swelling of glands (lymph node) indicates the presence of infection. Pain in ear & head is attributed to spread of infection to these areas. Management includes: 1. Gargle with warm salt water to relieve throat pain. 2. Analgesics like paracetamol 3. Antibiotics depending upon culture & sensitivity reports to remove the causative organism. 4. Antihistamine preparations like Allegra can also be used to provide symptomatic relief. So, the antibiotics were prescribed by your Doctor suspecting the same. If symptoms still persist, it will be better to consult an ENT specialist. Investigations like complete blood count & X ray of paranasal sinus will be helpful in detecting any pathological cause for your symptoms. Meanwhile, avoid taking cold food & drinks, maintain adequate hydration & take soft, non-spicy foods. Wish you good health & a speedy recovery. Take care.

Follow-up: Feel like throat is blocked due to swollen glands. Having pain in ears and head. Any suggestion? 7 minutes later
I have no pain in the throat just achy pain every now an then on the side where my glands are swollen, an my throat feels blocked on the same side like I have something stuck there! What could this be please?

Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 26 hours later
Brief Answer: Kindly view the details Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX Thanks for your follow up query. According to the case history as mentioned in your post, the symptoms can be attributed to the presence of a mass in the Pyriform fossa. Pyriform fossa is a small pouch like structure present on either side of the throat. And growth of any mass or infection of the pouch can produce sensations of something stuck in the throat. It can be detected with the help of an endoscope & then subsequently managed. Your symptoms will be relieved with this. So, kindly consult an ENT Specialist for the same. Till then, maintain adequate hydration & good nutrition status and avoid stress. There is no need to worry, you will be fine. Wishing you a Good Health. Take care.

Follow-up: Feel like throat is blocked due to swollen glands. Having pain in ears and head. Any suggestion? 12 minutes later
Thank you very much for your help I will definitly be using use again :)

Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Thanks for your appreciation Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX Thanks for your appreciation. Wishing you a Healthy Life. Take care.

Follow-up: Feel like throat is blocked due to swollen glands. Having pain in ears and head. Any suggestion? 3 minutes later
Can you get a lymph node drained if its enlarged an your worried about it?

Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 39 hours later
Brief Answer: Kindly view the details Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX Thanks for your follow up query. The decision of whether to drain the lymph node or not is to be taken only after a proper clinical examination. If there is only mild-moderate enlargement, it will subside by use of antibiotics only. In case, the lymph node is severely enlarged or filled with pus/ destroyed, then it has to be drained/managed surgically. Wishing you a Good Health. Take care.