Feel like passing stools. Noticed soft stools with jelly like substance. What could this be?

I have been having annoying feeling like I need to go and pass tools in the toilet all the time but I go and then I notest that I have soft tools and then when I wipe I see clear jelly like suspense with blood in it what would this be please and even happens when I don't go tools and just sit there and try to go course I feel like I need to
Posted Wed, 3 Jul 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 48 minutes later
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Tenesmus is the medical term for feeling as though you always need to go an stool.
There are a number of possible causes , the most common cause is a condition called inflammatory bowel disease.

Inflammatory bowel disease means the that bowel walls are inflamed. There are two main types of inflammatory bowel disease- Crohns' disease and ulcerative colitis

Other possible causes of tenesmus are :
(2)infective colitis- the bowel is infected
(3) irritable bowel syndrome- this is diagnosed after tests rule out other possible causes
(4)colonic cancer
(5)endometriosis- this is a condition where parts of the tissue found in the lining of the uterus is placed in other parts of the abdomen or pelvis

To determine if one of these is contributing to your symptoms , you would, if possible need to be assessed by your doctor.

AS part of his or her assessment your doctor would take a complete history, examine your abdomen and likely do a rectal examination.
Blood tests would need to be done to see if there is any evidence of inflammation. These tests would include a full blood count, ESR (checks for any inflammation).

Your doctor may also suggest sigmoidoscopy or colonoscopy to look into the bowel.

Treatment would depend on the cause found when you are examined and the tests are done.
(1)If the problem is related to constipation then this is treated with a increase in fibre used (vegetables, fruits, whole grain, oats, barley) , increase use of water .

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions