Feel itchy between right side palatoglossal arch and right tonsil. Diagnosed as seasonal allergy and took OTC antibiotics. Causes for itchiness?

ENT Specialist
Question
Hi, My name is XXXX, I usually feel itchy between right side palatoglossal arch and right tonsil, no unusual lumps or no other unusual feeling is there, I can eat and swallow food easily no problems in opening mouth and speaking but the itching continues and comes in my ear as well. I went to ENT who told me that this can be seasonal allergy so tried OTC antibiotics and antifungal mouthwash, the itchiness went away during medication but it comes back during certain time specially in night or evening. I also have cervical spondylosis and feel neck pain while I work on computers for long hours. What can be the possible cause of itching?
Posted Thu, 5 Sep 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 1 hour later

Thank you for your query to XXXXXXX

I have gone through your history and images attached. All the images are showing a clear throat with mild hyperemia (Increased blood circulation). That shows that there is no other disease condition in the area.

I would actually go with your doctor's suggestion that this is a situation of allergy. In my experience I have seen many patients suffering from similar difficulties. It was noticed that mostly they were due to Chronic allergic rhinosinusitis.

I would personally advise you to take a treatment for allergic sinusitis. You can continue with supportive treatments such as Listerine mouth wash, warm saline gargles and anti-histamines.
Do consult your doctor again, and get the required prescription for medication.

If you had been previously diagnosed with cervical spondylosis, you may require to take pain killers when there is severe pain. But along with it, you should take preventive steps such as, proper height of the pillow, reduce stress on neck by taking frequent breaks during work and adjustment of monitor height. If these measures are not relieving the problem please make sure you visit an orthopedic surgeon to see the present status.

I hope your concern was addressed. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Wish you good health.
Regards.

Follow-up: Feel itchy between right side palatoglossal arch and right tonsil. Diagnosed as seasonal allergy and took OTC antibiotics. Causes for itchiness? 25 hours later
Dear Sir,

Thanks for the diagnosis and reply.

I also have itchy feeling in my inner throat; on right side of throat below vocal chord but it doesn't happens often it do happens sometimes, also I catch cold and cough very easily is there any other condition that exists apart from allergic sinusitis and should I visit an allergist or still go to ENT specialist.

Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Concomitant Allergy

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for follow up query
According to allergic rhinitis word , itching should be present only in nose but the most of patient present with concomitant allergy such as
Eye
Ear
Pharynx- Nasopharynx, Oropharynx and Hypopharynx
Therefore these symptoms also presents.
I personally advised to consult the ENT specialist first.

If you have any doubt , I will be available for your query.

Follow-up: Feel itchy between right side palatoglossal arch and right tonsil. Diagnosed as seasonal allergy and took OTC antibiotics. Causes for itchiness? 32 hours later
Dear Sir, Thanks for the advice. I went to an ENT specialist who inspected the current scenario and he has prescribed me an anibiotic and another tablet which is very similar to cetrazine a multivitamin tablet and anti fungal mouthwash (tantum).

The medicines are being prescribed for 1 week. My query is how long is the duration for this treatment since I feel a bit of irritation while consuming alopathic medicines so can there be alternate treatment for this?

Another query is what should I avoid in my diet, drink and daily routine to reduce this allergy and how long after taking medicines the allergy's can be eliminated.

Also I would like to know; can there be any serious condition which can occur due to this allergy?

Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Continue the allopathic treatment

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for follow up question
Continue the aliopathic treatment for minimum 1 month with self care.
Avoids cold drugs, allergens , smoking, drinking,ice creams,pickles.
Serious condition which may occurs due to the long term untreated allergic rhinitis is asthma.
If you have any doubt, i will be available for your query

Wish you good health