Feel heart skipped beat and fell unconscious. Feeling fine after a while, no nausea or vomiting. Should I be worried?

I am a 46 year old woman. . I am an ex smoker and a little overweight but normally fit and well. I had a strange episode today whilst folding my children's clothes whilst sat on the bed. I felt a strange flutter as if my heart skipped a beat and lost consciousness for approx 30 seconds. My children were just about to call the paramedics. I feel absolutely fine now and had no nausea or vomiting. I just was sweating profusely. Should I wait to see my doctor? as I have work tomorrow, or should I go to see him in the morning. It has worried me as I have never felt anything like this and would not like to take a silly risk by not seeing my GP. I am in the UK and the NHS is overworked enough without people going to the doctors when there is no need. Your advice would be appreciated.
Posted Sat, 29 Jun 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Hi and thanks for the query,

What you experienced is what is called a syncope. This is simply a reflex rapid decrease in blood pressure and supply to the brain that causes a transient loss of consciousness. It is NOT an issue to panic of. It however becomes an issue if it is recurrent. It is not unusual for people to experience this. You really need not bother at this point.

It becomes an issue if it is recurrent. If not, you just need to be calm. In case you have been having such symptoms in the past, its no emergency. You might have to book an appointment with your cardiologist. for now, no worries. You should go to your job site normally as planned tomorrow.

thanks and hope this helps as I wish you just the best of health.

Best regards,

Bain LE, MD.