Feel during an accident. Having staples from laceration, swelling on buttocks and bruising. Can I jog or would bike ride is better to start?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I am a 55 year old female triathlete. Sunday while exercising with a spri thick elastic jump rope doing standing bicep curls with it attached to a door, the rope broke and I was propelled backward down XXXXXXX steps, landing first on my left buttock (pisiform is region), then very quickly impacted my left shoulder and the upper left back of my head. No concussion, but I have 6 staples there from a laceration. Not much swelling there. i do have severe brushing and swelling on my buttock, though today the swelling has abated a bit to the point where the skin is no longer tight like a drum. I am able to sleep, and have not had to take any kind of painkillers at all. I can squat without pain, though bending is somewhat uncomfortable due to the tightness and swelling. Sitting is doable.
My question is while I realize I probably shouldn't run until the staples are removed, and not do any heavy, strenuous lifting over over exert myself until that wound is healed, how long, absent any unknown injury, before you feel it might be safe before I try a slow jog? Or would a bike ride be better to start out with? I do not want to do anything to jeopardize a full recovery. Thank you for your help.
Posted Fri, 23 Aug 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later

From your description, it seems to be soft tissue injury over your left buttock and shoulder.
Generally, it would take 7-10 days for soft tissue injury to heal. By this time, laceration over your head would also heal.
Therefore, I suggest you to abstain from doing strenuous weight lifting or exercises that involve painful muscles.
In my opinion, it would be safe for you to try a slow jog after 5-7 days of complete bed rest.
Please do not think of bike riding now as it involves both muscle and mental involvement put together. I do not suggest you try this now for next 3 weeks at least.

Let me know if you have more queries.
Follow-up: Feel during an accident. Having staples from laceration, swelling on buttocks and bruising. Can I jog or would bike ride is better to start? 34 minutes later
Any suggestions in the meantime what to do, not do, to sipped the healing process?
Thank you for a your assistance.
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 4 hours later
Hi, To get relief from the pain and for quick healing:
1. Do hot fomatation at the site.
2. Apply local anti-inflammatory gel 2-3 times a day.
3. Take anti-inflammatory drugs like Ibuprofen 1 tablet as and when required to reduce pain and local swelling or inflammation.
4. Avoid forward bending and do not lift weight or try to do exercise that involve painful muscles. Give proper time for the injury to heal.

Hope this discussion was useful. Please close this discussion, if you do not have any other queries. I would appreciate your reviews about this service.