Feel constipated. Noticed white thread like strings in stools. Have multiple gastrointestinal issues. Help?

Hi today my stool was very did not appear to be a normal color or consistency instead was nothing but white threadlike strings. There was no mucus, diarrhea or normal stool at all. I felt constipated though. I have multiple gastrointestinal issues & wonder if a trip to the hospital is necessary
Posted Fri, 12 Jul 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 29 days later
Hi and thanks for this query.

I am Dr. Ditah and feel honored having this opportunity to address your health questions today. I am so sorry to hear about what you experienced today.

I can see this question was posted on the 18th of May 2013, Is this correct? And if so, is this another episode?

Based on the information you have provided, I think making a trip to the hospital now is not very very necessary. I will advice that you observe your stool over the next days and note whether you also have any other signs and symptoms like pain during defecation, blood in stool, abdominal pains etc. Transient one time changes like this may not really be linked to anything abnormal and being aggressive right away may not yield any meaning results. However, if we choose to observe over a few days, then we will be able to make a better decision and have more information to guide us pursuing possible causes.

If it were another episode, then I will advice you on considering going in for at least a physical exam, stool analysis and possibly other tests if necessary.

I hope this answers your query and you find it helpful.
If you have further questions related to this, I am more than happy to welcome them.
I Wish you a good health.
Dr. Ditah