Feel blurred vision in bright lights and rapid movements. History of anxiety, vertigo, allergies. Any advice ?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I'm 36, 5'10". I have a medical history of hayfever, anaphylactic sock after allergy shots, vertigo and anxiety over the last 2 years. I've been in a small car accident, and had a work related injury ( back and rotator cuff) 8 months ago. I had severe allergies, vertigo and several anxiety attacks since. I cannot go to work for the past 6 months. I'm awaiting ELISA blood tests for food sensitivities, my B12 is okay, from a recent test. I stopped smoking 2 years ago, coffee 1 1/2 yrs ago, sugar ( refined, brown) 6 mths ago, dairy and wheat 6 months ago, as well as marajuana. I have a family history of anxiety, but I myself did not notice anything until recently. I feel symptoms in large group, bright light blur my vision, heat and humidity, rapid movement such as driving and video games? Any advice?
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Anxiety and Stress
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
Feeling anxious specially in large groups is a common problem. Since you have already stopped the precipitating factors like smoking and coffee, I feel now the drug treatment is required.
In drug treatment two types of medicine used. For immediate relief of anxiety benzodiazepines group of medicines are used and for long term relief most commonly SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) are used. SSRI takes around 3-4 weeks to show its effect and behaviour therapy also takes weeks to show its effect. All these treatment need to be taken under supervision of psychiatrist.
I encourage you to do a few things:
1) Focus on getting a healthy night of sleep each night.
2) Eat a well balanced diet.
3) Exercise daily - extremely important in anxiety management.
4) Consider meditation exercises.
5) Surround yourself with supportive friends and family.

All of these things together will serve you well and I am confident you will feel progressively more mentally healthy as the days go on.

I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.