Feel as if food trapped in food pipe which sometimes causes breathing problem. Had quit smoking. Related?

I feel as if I have food trapped in food pipe it's like It's trapped! I can breathe but sometimes it takes my breath away! I stopped smoking 6 weeks ago is this anything to do with it as my breathing is worrying me a little
Posted Wed, 17 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ali Ismayilov 54 minutes later
Hello Linzi,

I would insist you visit the ER (emergency) right away. While there are a lot of benign causes for a condition like yours, there are also a few serious ones that should be considered and ruled out.

While smoking is very harmful for the esophagus (food pipe), stopping smoking would never cause a harm to it.

Best regards,

A. Ismayilov, MD