Feel anxiety, shortness of breath and collapsed,like an heart attack. What could be the reason?

At times i feel anxiety, shortness of breath and think that i collapsed. it seems like an heart attack however after some time when i divert my mind from that every thing become normal.
Posted Tue, 28 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Hi and thanks for the query,

You shall need a proper clinical assessment to actually make a clear difference between an anxiety related disorder and an organic disease, such as heart of respiratory disease.

It could be necessary however to know whether you have any family history of heart disease or not? any history of asthma? However frequent to you have this feeling and under what circumstances? what escalates the feeling? Any stressful social event lately? These details could be very important for a proper clinical assessment.

When you had the impression you collapsed, was someone around? If yes, what did the person notice?

Anxiety usually involves both medications and psychological reinforcement therapies. Personal motivation, sense of positive feeling and thinking are a key component in this process. Being in a calm and comfortable social and physical environment might be of help. Exercise and being with close friends, talking to loved family members could also be if help.

A chest X XXXXXXX Electrocardiogram and a cardiac ultrasound could be very useful in excluding an associated heart or lung problem. I suggest you consult an internist first. Complete treatment could involve a psychiatrist and a psychologist depending on the clinical assessment.

Book an appointment with an internist. Thanks and hope this helps as I wish you the best of health.,

Do not hesitate asking any further questions if need be.

Best Regards,
Luchuo, MD.