Feel a bump around neck. ENT could not find any. I feel on both the sides. What to do?

ENT Specialist
A couple of weeks ago, i was feeling around my neck and i noticed it feels a little bumpy, especially under my jaw which I Know is where the lymph nodes are. I had them checked by an ENT who told me he didnt feel anything unusual. However, i keep feeling these little bumps on both sides of my neck (although my right side is slightly bumpier than the left) and I was wondering if thats just the way a neck is supposed to feel? Or does it hav´┐Ż to feel completely smooth?
I am a19 year old female
Posted Mon, 29 Jul 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 3 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. The lumps that you feel may be lymph nodes, salivary glands, muscle fascicles or fat. On light pressure, the neck will feel smooth, while on deeper pressure, it will feel lumpy.

2. Get a USG (Ultrasound) Neck done if you feel there is a difference between the sides. If this is normal, it will settle the issue.

3. There are about 300 lymph nodes in the head and neck region. They are normally not or barely palpable. They tend to enlarge in response to infection or inflammation and thereafter remain palpable.

4. Get a dental check-up done to rule out any dental or gum disease.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.