Feeding infant with nan milk powder, pain due to gas. On Nan AR. Dark stools. Is this normal?

I have a baby boy who is 8 weeks old. I used to feed him Nan 1 as a formula milk powder. Recently my son, was in a lot of pain due to a lot of gas. i went to the pharmacy and he told me to start him on NAN A.R.. he's been on NAN A.R. for the last 3 days. this morning when I've changed his nappy, his stools were very dark XXXXXXX that at first I thought it was black, but under the light I confirmed that it was dark XXXXXXX Is this normal?
Posted Thu, 31 May 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 14 minutes later

The greenish stools and the history of gas both indicate gastric upset in the child which could be due to allergy to a ingredient in the formula.

It is very common condition and encountered in many babies who are on substitute milk.I would suggest you to stop the product NAN A R and enquire for a better one in your locality.

If there are chances for him to be breastfed, please do it exclusively as it will treat his gastric discomfort and provide his calorie or breastfeed him temporarily for few days until his stomach gets normal and then put him back on substitute even NAN A R because the gastric upset sometimes could be due to faulty feeding techniques.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Follow-up: Feeding infant with nan milk powder, pain due to gas. On Nan AR. Dark stools. Is this normal? 6 minutes later
How long will it take for his stools to turn to normal?

I have stopped breastfeeding because I was not feeling good, however my breast still produces milk..a very small amount though. Can I still regain the flow?

Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 5 minutes later
Hi again,

Thanks for writing back.

His stool when on breastfeeding or a better substitute will return to normal in not more than 3 days.

Even if the flow is less , I strongly recommend you to breastfeed your baby.Baby feeding will improve the hormonal secretion and will improve the flow too.

Hope I answered all your questions. Please use any answer clarification before closing and rating this answer. I will be happy to explain or expand on any issue you may have.

Follow-up: Feeding infant with nan milk powder, pain due to gas. On Nan AR. Dark stools. Is this normal? 7 minutes later
Hi again.
Thanks alot for your help.

One last thing, I will try to breastfeed again. However until the flow will start increasing, should I go back in feeding my son with the NAN 1 as I used to before, or I'll change totally the milk to another brand?

Thank you very much
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 20 minutes later
Hi ,

Yes, you can go for both breastfeeding and the substitute, I would recommend you to go for another brand but NAN.

" The best comes from the Breast " Breast milk is the best food for the baby as it contains many substances which will prevent and cure such gastric problems.