Feces smell started coming from mouth and nose. No teeth or gum problem. How to control this?

hi just had a question, i have this feces smell coming from my mouth and nose 24/7 and its alot worse when my bowels are full. its like a direct smell of feces coming out of my nose when i breath. i've been to the dentist recently and i have no teeth or gum problems and also went to a gastroenterologist for a upper and lower endoscopy and found no problems, basically i have this bad smelling and tasting saliva and mucous and really bad direct feces smell coming from my nose and mouth, i have no liver problems i dont drink smoke, im on a strict no meats, no sugar, gluten free, no dairy diet
Posted Sun, 5 May 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Charles S Narasi 9 hours later

Thank you for contacting XXXXXXX

It must be very frustrating for you to live with this condition. I am glad that you are not a smoker or a drinker. I am also glad to find out that your endoscopic examinations were normal. You have put yourself on a lactose free and gluten free diet. I am not sure if you tested for Celiac and also for lactose intolerance. You mentioned saliva tasting bad. From your description, you have a reflux problem. In other words, gastric contents are backing up into your esophagus especially during night times when you are sleeping flat and gives that taste and smell in the morning and can linger on
for sometime. The pure acid reflux does not cause the smell. On the other hand, if the bile from the intestine backs up into the stomach along with partially digested food, that has a bitter taste and also can have foul smell. The only condition where real feces can come up the mouth would be if there is an abnormal communication between stomach and the colon (Large bowel). This can happen if a person has a deep gastric ulcer and if it ruptures into the part of the colon that is behind it. Since you have had negative endoscopy, I don't think you have this. However, I would advise you to get an upper GI series with small bowel follow up to see if there are any abnormalities present.

Good oral hygiene is important. I also suggest that you ask your doctor for Sucralfate liquid or
tablets that you can take three or four times a day as trial for a couple of weeks to see ithat helps.
Try to elevate the head of your bed and don't eat before you go to bed. Your last meal should be at least an hour and a half before you go to bed.

Hope these suggestions are helpful to you.

I wish you the very best.
Follow-up: Feces smell started coming from mouth and nose. No teeth or gum problem. How to control this? 16 hours later
ty for ur suggestions and reply, im going to take them all into consideration and make appointments and do my research on it, i also wanted to say that i have really hot slight burning feeling right near my lower abdomin area when my bowels are really full and only feels better when they are empty. i was wondering if u could tell me what that could be thank you
Answered by Dr. Charles S Narasi 6 hours later
Hello, XXXXXX,

I am glad that you are going to follow through.
When you have retained stool , there is also gas build up and that's what causes the pain from distension. When you pass stools, the gas is also relieved and the discomfort goes away or gets better.

I wish you well.