Feces smell started coming from mouth and nose. No liver problem. How to control this?

ENT Specialist
hi just had a question, i have this feces smell coming from my mouth and nose 24/7 and its alot worse when my bowels are full. its like a direct smell of feces coming out of my nose when i breath. i've been to the dentist recently and i have no teeth or gum problems and also went to a gastroenterologist for a upper and lower endoscopy and found no problems, basically i have this bad smelling and tasting saliva and mucous and really bad direct feces smell coming from my nose and mouth, i have no liver problems i dont drink smoke, im on a strict no meats, no sugar, gluten free, no dairy diet
Posted Mon, 6 May 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later

Thanks for posting the query

The bad breath could be due to various reasons such as poor dental hygiene, acid reflux disease, tonsillitis, atrophic rhinitis, sinusitis, trimethylaminuria, etc.

As you have already got the dental and gastroenterologist consultation done and ruled out the possible causes. Then the next person to consult is a good ENT specialist to check for any sinus related problems. If that is also ruled out, then the last option left for you is to consult an endocrinologist to rule out trimethylaminuria.

Meanwhile you can try the following measures:
1. Drink plenty of warm water, this helps in keeping the mucosa moist and prevent bacterial colonisation.

2. Avoid eating beans and those food stuff containing high sulfur or smelly foods.

3. Probiotics help in increasing the normal flora of the gut, helps in digestion and prevents foul odour and breath.

4. Avoid constipation – Work towards becoming more regular bowel habits and perform regular exercises to help in easy bowel movements.

5. Try taking digestive enzymes, they are a must. They help with digesting foods so it’s a good idea to take this with every meal.

Hope I have answered your queries; I will be available for the follow up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon