Feces show presence of Citrobacter freundaii and brakaii. What treatment would you recommend?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
my feces show the presence of citrobacter freundaii and brakaii.
what treatment would you recommend to eliminate them from my gut?
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Citrobacter infection is usually treated with antibiotics such as fluoroquinolones, carbapenems and cephalosporins. Treatment is dependent on the susceptibility of the organism to antibiotics and the site of the infection.
Since citrobacter shows resistance to many antibiotics it is best to choose an antibiotic based on culture and sensitivity report of your stool sample.
Usually treatment is started with cephalosporins and carbapenems.
Antibiotics like cefepime may be started after consulting your physician.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Follow-up: Feces show presence of Citrobacter freundaii and brakaii. What treatment would you recommend? 3 hours later
Can it be that the pricklings I experience in my body, intermittently and since 3 months, are due to citrobacter or is this a hystamine reaction, as I have become sensitive to many foods since 3 months ago.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later

Thanks for writing again.

Citrobacter infection of the gut is not associated with skin problems like itching, pricklings or rashes. This is more likely to be related to an allergic reaction.

Allergy to various foods can cause such skin related symptoms and oral antiallergics like cetrizine or fexofenadine helps in controlling the symptoms.

Skin allergy tests will help detecting the causative food stuffs.

Desensitization, anti histamines and oral steroids help in controlling the symptoms.

Hope my answer is helpful. If I have addressed all your concerns, please close this discussion.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Feces show presence of Citrobacter freundaii and brakaii. What treatment would you recommend? 32 hours later
Thank you for your answer.
As someone who has not taken orthodox medicine for over 30 years and has little trust in it, I wonder if I could ask a homeopath the same question?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 10 hours later
Homeopathy less likely to help you in treating the citrobacter infection.
I cannot transfer this query to a Homeopath specialist in the middle of our discussion. If you wish you can opt for 'Ask A Specialist' package where a Specialist Homeopath will answer.
Use this link :
WWW.WWWW.WW Regards.