Fecal incontinence on waking up, BM normal. Done gall bladder removal, hysterectomy. Medical intervention needed?

Emergency Medicine Specialist
For the past several months, not long after waking I get an urgent sensation to have a BM. Not such an issue, as I have been a "clockwork" pooper most of my life. This is different. This is an urgency that often results in fecal incontinence. Used to be, I could get the "gotta poop" signal with plenty of time to make it to the bathroom. Even having the ability to hold it for later if need be. (Though, I did not do this if I could avoid it) Anyway, I have absolutely no "holding it in" power whatsoever. These are mostly normal BM. Not loose like diarrhea. Occasionally, I do have cramping associated with BM. About once a month I guess, I have cramping so painful I am certain it rivals labor pains, if not worse than. But again, it's the morning urgency that has me concerned. As though as soon as my body stands upright, it all wants to just fall out ASAP.

A little back story here: 2007 Gallbladder removal, 2009 Hysterectomy with oophorectomy, 2010 SLAP tear repair left shoulder, 2011 lower lumbar spinal surgery. I am also type 2 Diabetic.

Should I seek medical intervention? Thank you in advance
Posted Tue, 21 May 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 2 hours later
Thanks for writing your query.

Having a bowel movement daily in the morning is a good habit, but if it is uncontrollable, it can be due to excessive gas production.
This can be due to side effects of the medicines you are taking.

If you are taking too much fat XXXXXXX foods, it can also add to the symptoms as after gall bladder removal, digestion of fat suffers.

Taking digestive enzymes containing pepsin and fungal diastase will help you relieve your symptoms.

Also get your stool examined.
If the problem persists, get yourself examined clinically and investigated completely.

I hope this is helpful to you. If you have any further query, I will be happy to help.

Follow-up: Fecal incontinence on waking up, BM normal. Done gall bladder removal, hysterectomy. Medical intervention needed? 1 hour later
Are the medicines you mentioned (Pepsin and Fungal diastase) RX meds? Or can I find them OTC?
Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 9 hours later
Thanks for your response.

Pepsin and fungal diastase are digestive enzymes and can be available OTC.

I hope this answers your query.