Fear from a buzz sound in ear, causes discomfort in lower back and squirms. Anxious and low esteem. Why?

ENT Specialist
Question
Fear from sound near my earI have a fear of when a buzzing sound is near my ear. Particulary more noticable in my left ear. This happens to me when im getting a haircut and I cannot sit still when the trimmer is coming near my ear. This causes a feeling in my lower back which causes me to squirm. Its that same feeling you get when someone makes an unexpected purring sound in your ear and you shake. I also have anxiety and low self esteem. I just want to be more normal and not fear getting haircuts because I dont want to embarrass myself in front of the barber. And also have less anxiety and more confidence. Any solutions?
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 6 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. Low frequency vibrations are perceived as sound. Sound travels faster and more efficiently in a solid medium such as bone. When a hair trimmer comes in contact with your skin and skull bone, the vibration and sound is uncomfortable. Many normal people agree with this.

2. Tinnitus is a buzzing sound heard by most people at some time during their lifetimes. It is not XXXXXXX in 99.99% people.

3. You must avoid (or refuse) the use of a trimmer during a hair cut if it disturbs or annoys you. This is a common experience.

4. Get your thyroid levels checked. Get help via counselling for anxiety and low self esteem.

I hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries, I will be available to answer them. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.

Regards.

Follow-up: Fear from a buzz sound in ear, causes discomfort in lower back and squirms. Anxious and low esteem. Why? 2 hours later
The reaction happens before the trimmer comes in contact. My thyroid levels are ok. I had them checked recently.

Is there anything I can eat or take to help with this?

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 2 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

There is no medication or treatment for irritation and buzzing when the trimmer comes close. Avoiding its use is the only recommendation I would like to make.

Regards.

Follow-up: Fear from a buzz sound in ear, causes discomfort in lower back and squirms. Anxious and low esteem. Why? 13 hours later
ok thank you.

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 5 hours later

Thank you for following up.

This feeling is probably a part of a primitive built-in autonomic reflex in human beings. So do not worry.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.

I wish you good health.

Regards.