Fatty liver, tired and easily bruises. Done AST, ALT and platelet tests. What does this mean, advise?

my AST 82, ALT 78, platelet is 89. I was diagnosed 4 years ago with fatty liver. But now the DR. is sending me to Hematologist/Oncologist. What test will I have to go through. What could this mean? Tired all the time, and bruise easy is my only symptoms
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Your mildly raised AST and ALT levels are not worrisome. The easy bruising that you are having is due to the decreased platelet count.
To take care of this decreased count, you have been referred to a hematologist.
Reduction in platelet count can be due to ---B -12 or folate deficiency, post bacterial or viral infection especially dengue, due to immune disorder, or various types of purpura. Since other counts are normal, leukemia is ruled out.
You will need to have blood coagulation profile and steroids, immunoglobulins, blood transfusions, etc according to the severity of the condition.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.